Emiliablo is a princess, there’s no denying it, the girl was born with an innate love and passion for beauty and fashion. Not long ago she started begging to play with sissy’s and my makeup nearly everyday. She would become upset when makeup time was over and that she couldn’t play with the makeup as long as she wanted so I decided that I would research and buy her some pretend makeup. My problem was the Emiliablo already knew what makeup looked and felt like. She had started off playing with the real deal and I wasn’t sure how she would take to pretend makeup. I was browsing Amazon and reading pretend makeup reviews when I stumbled on to Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup Set. ($21.99)
After reading the product reviews I was sold, this what exactly what I was looking for. I bought this gift set for Emiliablo and gave to her for her Valentine’s Day gift. Emiliablo completely loves her Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup Set. Not once has she mentioned that it’s pretend or any different than Mommy’s or sissy’s makeup. She plays with the makeup as enthusiastically as she does ‘real’ makeup, though we never mention her’s is any different than mine or sissy’s.
When you look at Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup you have to do a double take, it seriously looks real. I had to rub my finger across each piece of makeup to be convinced. The glitter eye shadow is the most convincing, the glitter does not transfer at all, which is important when we are talking about toddlers putting fake makeup on their eyes. Here is a photo gallery of pictures I took of Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup Set. My pictures, aside from being amateur, are exactly like the Amazon picture above, there’s no false advertising here, they are giving you exactly what they claim to be selling.
My only complaint was that the powder didn’t come with a nonbreakable mirror. Emiliablo also loves to play with mirrors but it makes me too nervous to let her play with real mirrors. I ended up buying her a Barbie mirror at Toys-R-Us but Little Cosmetics announced on their Facebook page that they are releasing powder compacts with nonbreakable mirrors this summer! Woot!! 2015 UPDATE: The non breakable mirror comes with the gift sets now.
Ratings (Out of five stars):
Overall rating: 30 out of 30 stars / 5 Star Average
Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup Set
- One Pressed Powder Compact – Available in three ethnic shades. Compact is a hard plastic that encases the soft but firm foam imitation pressed powder; comes with a soft cotton puff. The powder doesn’t transfer.
- One Pink Blush Compact – Available only in rose pink blush. Compact is a hard plastic that encases the soft but firm foam imitation blush. The blush doesn’t transfer.
- One Lip Gloss with Roller Ball – Only available in one of their three gift sets. Depending on the gift set you select there are various color options. The lip gloss achieves it’s realism with the roller ball. The hard plastic gloss bottle is empty so nothing comes out when you use the roller ball, the ball moves giving your child the impression lip gloss was applied.
- One Glitter Pot – Available in purple, pink, fuchsia, green, and blue. Pot is a hard plastic that encases the soft but firm glitter foam. The glitter doesn’t transfer.
- One Eye Shadow Palette – Available in three shades; Pink/Purple, Blue/Green, and Brown/Taupe. Pallet is a hard plastic that encases the soft but firm foam imitation eye shadow. The eye shadow doesn’t transfer.
- Five Piece Makeup Brush Set – Only available in one of their three gift sets. These brushes are of standard quality, they are not high quality but they are sturdy enough for toddler use.
- Pink Organza Carrying Bag – Thin sheer bag, we don’t use this bag. Looks good for gift wrapping but we bought a Dora makeup bag for our toddler to use daily.
I highly recommend Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup to anyone with a toddler who is fascinated with Mommy’s makeup. It looks about as real as pretend makeup can look. Emiliablo has been playing with her Little Cosmetics Essential Pretend Makeup since Valentine’s day and aside from a missing brush or two it looks exactly how it did the day I gave it to her. None of the pieces have broken and there are no signs of wear and tear yet.